Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Tonight was my second time making this cornbread with one big difference. I was out of all purpose, gluten free flour. So for the first time in this journey I had to try to make my own "all purpose" type mixture of flours from scratch. It came out pretty good, although not as good as the first time I made the recipe and stuck closer to the instructions :-) So here I will share both the original, and my own modifications. Remember, this is my journey from the rankest novice in both baking from scratch and gluten free and vegan cooking at all to hopefully someday a more confident proficiency at all three skills. I decided if I share some of my mis-steps along the way, I might save some of you from making the same mistakes, and you might all be able to tell me some ways I can improve what I am doing as I go, so I don't have to do everything in the hardest possible way. Cornbread Recipe [Vegan & Gluten-free] Serves: 9 squares Ingredients: 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour) 1 ½ cups cornmeal 1 Tbsp. coconut sugar (I used regular sugar and stevia because I did not have coconut sugar) 1 Tbsp. baking powder 1 tsp. salt 1 cup almond milk 1/3 cup sunflower oil 3 Tbsp. brown rice syrup(I substituted agave nectar) ¼ cup soft silken tofu (*gluten-free – some brands vary in whether or not the product contains gluten. Please be sure to check the label of each of the ingredients to make sure it is gluten-free before using) (**to avoid genetically modified corn and soy I recommend checking that the cornmeal and tofu are non-gmo certified or organic) Directions: Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 square pan. In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients - flour, cornmeal, coconut sugar, baking powder and salt. In another large bowl, or in a blender, combine wet ingredients - almond milk, sunflower oil, brown rice syrup, and tofu. Mix until well combined. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the center, and stir until moistened. Pour the batter into the greased pan. Bake for 17 – 20 minutes. Recipe by Wendy Irene on http://www.givelovecreatehappiness.com/ Tonight I used 2/3 cup brown rice flower and 1/3 cup coconut flour in place of the all purpose flour. The cornbread was a little thicker and heavier, needed to cook longer to be completely done. Both batches were moist and had very very good flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment