Thursday, February 20, 2014

First "from scratch" Veggie Burgers

Tonight I made our first from scratch veggie burgers and they did not turn out bad! Especially when you take into account I kind of made up the recipe. I looked at several recipes and then mixed them together to fit the ingredients I had and the things we tend to like. So for our first try, and a bit last minute with part of it at that, here is the recipe I used: 4 cups cooked Kidney beans old fashioned gluten free oats Salt, pepper Garlic Powder Onion Powder Bar-B-Que Spice 1/2 cup canola oil sunflower oil put canola oil in food processor or Vitamix. Add 1 cup of kidney beans and spices to taste. Process to smooth. Add 2 more cups of beans slowly, until smooth. Hand mash remaining cup of beans until chunky pieces. Pour bean puree into mashed beans and mixed together. Add oats until thickened to paste consistency. Let sit 15 to 20 min. Heat sunflower oil in skillet and cook until brown on each side. They were not perfectly cohesive, but not too bad either. Next time may try adding a little flour, and maybe some seeds. I also tried out our new Rice Steamer tonight. It was a mixed success. The rice was a bit chewy and the water boiled over. Next time I am going to leave the steamer part in even if I do not have any veggies to put in it and see if that makes a difference. But the rice did not burn or stick, and I did not have to baby-sit it in any way. Dumped the ingredients in the pot and turned it on. So if I can figure the rest of the trick out (maybe oil in the water?) this will be a VERY cool thing. Also VERY excited by the Tahini Recipe my sister sent me!! Can not wait to try that!

No comments:

Post a Comment