Friday, February 21, 2014

My first Loaf of Gluten-Free Vegan Bread!!

I Did It!! I made my first loaf of Gluten-Free Vegan bread! It is not completely from scratch, because I was chicken to go that far the first time I tried baking Vegan or Gluten-free and the first time using the bread machine, but I did have to do quite a bit of "tweaking" so it is not just a mix either. The really exciting part is it came out so good. It is not "good enough", it is good. Not dry or crumbly, not heavy and doughy. Just nice bread with a good flavor. NOTHING like what we bought at the health food store last week, LOL. So I used Bob's Red Mill Homemade Wonderful Bread Mix (Gluten Free, Dairy Free) which can be used in a machine or by hand. I used 1 2/3 cups Almond Breeze milk (coconut/almond milk mix) for the milk, and 1/4 cup sunflower oil for the butter. In place of the egg I used 1 pureed banana (which made 1/4 cup) and then 2 tsp of egg replacer with enough water to fill the cup to the 1/2 cup mark, so that I ended up with a total of 3/4 cup egg replacer total (banana and mix together), which is the volume the recipe calls for on the package. I was nervous that it would not have any flavor so I added some cinnamon and vanilla flavoring to the mix at this point. Just because I always add some kind of spices to everything to make it a bit different. My machine says to make sure you have blended all the liquid ingredients well before putting them in the machine for the best results, so I used my Vitamix and mixed milk, oil, banana and egg replacer for one minute, from slow to full speed. Then I placed this in the machine, put in the powdered mix, and made a hollow in the center and poured in the yeast. I set the machine for white bread, medium crust, large loaf and started it. Three hours later we were waiting for it to cool enough to try. And we really like it. So next time I will try mixing my own flour and see if I can come up with anything as good as Bobs Red Mill mix. We will see. I want to try some sweet breads, too.

1 comment: